A few weeks ago I read something on Substack and it really stuck with me. In this day and age everyone tries really hard to be "nonchalant", "niche", "chic", "gatekeep", and etc. It has changed my views on our generation because of reasons such as that. Not only because of how they are but unfortunately I'm not much different, am I?
Everyone these days really try to find unknown artists and songs and keep it to themselves so that they are supposedly on an higher heirachy than the rest of us because it makes them more complicated and cool. Almost as if these things just add more layers for the all of us to unravel about them. As much as I find that absurd I do such things as well.
The main thing I'm really disapointed about is the fact that music is one of the things that enhances all of us as indivuduals. Yet people go out of their way to force themselves to listen to pure bullshit just because they're under this stupid brainwash spell that makes them think it makes them "special".
People shame you if you listen to mainstream music and the same thing goes for if its unpopular. God forbid I listen to whatever I want in peace. One time in school we were doing this project in woodshop and our teacher had this machine which could engrave anything you put in on the computer onto the wood.
A friend of mine put one of Dean Blunt's album covers on her piece and this other guy put some character from like Valorant. When it was my turn I thought it was the end of the world because I'm a really indecisive person and everyone was lined up behind me just waiting so I felt pressurized to put something. So, I decided up this. ➜ ➜ ➜ ➜ (In the end I didn't even end up choosing that btw)
The moment that pulled up on the screen the two of them started flaming me. Why, you ask? Because it was "performative". Mind you, Faye Webster is MY favourite artist. She is on my Spotify Wrap every year. She's on my Airbuds Weekly every week. Obviously, they don't know this. And I didn't think it was neccesary for me to prove that to them either.
I just find it so silly that in the moment they needed proof from me to know I'm an "og". Why does all that matter. Isn't the whole point of music to be LISTENING to it and not trying to flaunt your nicheness.
I rest my case.
xoxo, sapphiramidnight
people forget free will is a thing and we should all use it!
ReplyDelete